Friday, March 18, 2011

Questing in Cataclysm

So I've been thinking a lot about how questing has evolved and specifically about questing in Cataclysm.

When I started WoW back in Vanilla, the questing wasn't sophisticated by any stretch of the imagination. I loaded up my quest log with every available quest until it was full and then I went out and killed my boars. Pretty straight forward. There wasn't much story, but the good thing was you got to go out and explore the world the way that you wanted.

Questing now is a completely different beast. I worked my way through the Worgen starting area, and the entire thing was on rails. There's a pretty good story, but the entire experience was restrictive and I really didn't enjoy that aspect at all. I didn't feel like was out in the world at all. I was just walking through an interactive storybook.

Questing in the revamped zones was a little better. There was a definitely more structure, but you could still go out and explore. Things flowed well too, which was nice. It felt very natural and moved me from one place to the next well.

The new Cataclysm zones are another story. You only get a few quests at a time, and with the heavy use of phasing, you almost need to complete them in order to unlock the phases. If you don't do one, you might miss unlocking a phase and all the later quests. Not liking that one bit. It's nice to see the world change because of my actions, but I absolutely hate that I'm locked into something on rails and don't have much choice in what I do in a zone. I find this to be one of the least enjoyable parts of the new questing and I think it's probably why I haven't pushed too hard to level up in the higher levels yet. I just don't like how it's been put together.

Do you have any thoughts on questing in Cataclysm? Love it, hate it, or just trying to get through it to other content?

No comments:

Post a Comment